Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mutter Paneer

Ingredients:

1 medium onion sliced into small pieces
2 medium size tomatoes
1/2 cup of paneer cubes (Fry the paneer cubes in oil)
1 cup of green peas
1 Green chilli
1/2 tablespoon of Red Chilli Powder
1/2 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
1/2 tablespoon of cumin seeds
1/2 tablespoon of coriander powder
1/2 tablespoon of Garam Masala powder
3-4 tablespoon of Oil/ghee
2 bay leaves
3-4 cloves
Salt

To make Tomato Puree:

Grind the tomatoes and the green chilli together with 1/2 cup of water.Keep the puree aside.

Heat some oil/ghee in a deep saute pan.Fry cumin seeds,bay leaves and cloves.Add onions,ginger garlic paste and fry them till the onions turn transparent.

Now add tomato puree,required salt,red chilli powder,turmeric powder,coriander powder and garam masala powder.Mix well and saute for a min.Cover the pan and cook for 3-4 mins.

Now add the fried paneer cubes,green peas and mix well.Cover the pan and cook in medium flame 4-5 mins.

Serve hot with any kind of Indian bread/Basmati Rice and enjoy!

Side Note:
paneer cheese = panir cheese = Indian curd cheese Notes: Indians like to serve this bland fresh cheese with spinach or peas. Use within a few days. Substitutes: cubes of firm tofu OR feta cheese (much saltier) To make your own: Bring one gallon of whole milk to a boil, stirring regularly. (It's best to use a double boiler to avoid scalding the milk. Don't use an aluminum or cast iron pan.) Remove from heat, then gradually add lemon or lime juice until the mixture curdles (about 3-4 tablespoons). Cover, and let the mixture sit for a few minutes. Pour the mixture into a cheesecloth-lined colander and allow the curds to drain. Rinse the curds with water and allow to drain some more, then fold the cloth around the cheese and use a weighted plate to press more moisture out of it for a few hours or until it becomes firm.

From: http://thefancifulmind.blogspot.com/2007/09/mutter-paneer-masala.html

No comments: