Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Edamame + Black Bean Summer Salad


5 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 limes, juiced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 lb. shelled edamame, frozen
3 c. corn kernels, frozen
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 (15oz.) can black beans, rinsed & drained

1.) In large bowl, whisk red wine vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, sugar, & salt together. Set aside.
2.) Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add frozen edamame, boiling for 3 mins. Add frozen corn to water & continue cooking for 2 more mins.
3.) Drain edamame & corn well, & pour into bowl with dressing.
4.) Add grape tomatoes, scallions, & black beans, & gently stir to mix.
5.) Cover & refrigerate for 2hrs., then stir & serve.

Recipe (adapted from allrecipes.com)

No comments: