Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Garlicky Cherry Tomato Bread Gratin

One 5-ounce piece of day-old French baguette with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes (5 cups)
1 1/2 pounds small cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Lightly oil a 10-inch ceramic quiche dish.
3. In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, parsley, Parmesan and salt and pepper.
4. Scrape the mixture into the baking dish and bake in the center of the oven for 35 minutes, or until the bread cubes are browned and crisp and the tomatoes are very tender.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving (6 Servings)

Calories 280.2
Total Fat 17.2 g
Saturated Fat 4.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 10.1 g
Cholesterol 7.9 mg
Sodium 568.9 mg
Potassium 409.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 8.8 g

Vitamin A 27.5%    Vitamin B-12 3.7%
Vitamin B-6 8.8%    Vitamin C 35.6%
Vitamin D 0.0%    Vitamin E 4.2%
Calcium 19.9%    Copper 9.2%
Folate 13.8%    Iron 12.8%
Magnesium 8.6%    Manganese 21.1%
Niacin 12.8%    Pantothenic Acid 5.6%
Phosphorus 15.9%    Riboflavin 12.3%
Selenium 13.4%    Thiamin 21.6%
Zinc 5.8%

From: http://www.yumsugar.com/tag/jacques+pepin

No comments: