Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mexican-Style Chick-Pea Salad

2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
3 fresh jalapeno chiles
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
3 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
4 cups drained canned chick-peas (2 19-ounce cans)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice plus additional to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Rinse chipotles. Wearing rubber gloves, separately seed and mince chipotles and jalapenos. Mince onion and garlic. Peel, seed, and chop tomatoes. Rinse and drain chick-peas, and in a large bowl stir together all ingredients except additional lime juice.

Chill the salad, covered, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Season salad with salt and add additional lime juice. Serve salad at cool room temperature.

From: http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2003/12/04/ss1b32_chick_pea_salad_lg.jpg

1 comment:

brader1122 said...

My boyfriend is Mexican. I took this to his family's Christmas dinner party and everyone loved it! Thanks so much!