Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Eight-Hour Coq au Vin

3 slice(s) bacon, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces
1 package(s) (10-ounce) mushrooms, each cut in half
2 cup(s) frozen pearl onions
1 (4-pound) cut-up chicken, skin removed from all pieces except wings
Salt and pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
4 clove(s) garlic, chopped
1 cup(s) dry red wine
2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup(s) chicken broth

Directions

1. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine mushrooms and frozen pearl onions; set aside.
3. Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. In skillet with bacon fat, cook chicken (in 2 batches, if necessary) over medium-high heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Place chicken over vegetables in slow cooker.
4. Discard drippings from skillet. Reduce heat to medium; add onion and carrot, and cook 2 minutes or until onion softens, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add wine, tomato paste, and bay leaf; heat to boiling, stirring to dissolve tomato paste. Pour wine mixture and broth over chicken pieces. Cover slow cooker and cook as manufacturer directs, on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours.
5. To serve, discard bay leaf. With large spoon, transfer chicken and sauce to deep platter; sprinkle with bacon.

Nutritional Information
(per serving)Serves 4

Calories 400
Total Fat 13g
Saturated Fat 4g
Cholesterol 156mg
Sodium 690mg
Total Carbohydrate 20g
Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugars --
Protein 52g
Calcium --

From:http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/eight-hour-coq-au-vin-ghk0907

No comments: