Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Couscous + Black Bean Salad


1 cup whole wheat couscous*
1 1/4 cups vegetable broth*
2 (150z) cans black beans, thoroughly rinsed & drained
1 cup frozen corn
3/4 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 pinch salt
10 grinds freshly ground black pepper

1.) Cook couscous according to directions, replacing water with vegetable broth.
2.) In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, salt, & pepper. Set the dressing aside.
3.) After the couscous has finished cooking, fluff it gently with a fork, & transfer it into a large bowl. Stir the beans, corn, red pepper, & green onion into the couscous.
4.) Pour the dressing over the couscous mixture, stirring to coat.
5.) Stir in the fresh cilantro, taste for salt/pepper, & add if necessary.
6.) Serve immediately, or refrigerate & serve later. (This salad is best at room temperature.)

*Variation: You can also use a box of Near East's Near East's "Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil" wheat couscous (instead of using plain, wheat couscous) when making this dish. If you do so, omit the vegetable broth and use water instead.

From: http://veggie-terrain.blogspot.com/

No comments: