Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Torta de frango (Brazilian Chicken Pie)

Filling
To taste: take a chicken breast or two and shred it while it is cooking. While it is cooking add some tomato sauce, onion salt, garlic salt, oregano, pepper, canned corn, and of course chopped cilantro. After the sauce has thickened a bit, and all of the chicken is shredded, put the pie together for baking.

Dough
12 tbsp flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 1/2 to 2 cups of milk
3/4 to 1 cup oil

Baking the pie
Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Put all dough ingredients into a blender and beat until smooth. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan. Pour half of dough mixture into pan. Add meat or chicken or veggies. Pour rest of the dough on top. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool, slice and serve with a nice green salad with vinaigrette dressing!

From: http://www.maria-brazil.org/torta_de_frango.htm

No comments: