Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Chocolate Mousse with Raspberries


Nutritional Information
(per serving)
Calories: 145
Protein: 5g
Fat: 9g
- Saturated: 5g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Carbohydrate: 13g
- Sugars: 10g
Fiber: 2g
Sodium: 52mg

Chocolate is usually not considered a diet food but cocoa itself has beneficial anti-inflammatory properties. It is usually the other ingredients added to chocolate that make it a dieter's foe. This chocolate mousse uses 70% cocoa chocolate this contains much less fat and sugar then a conventional chocolate bar.

Ingredients
(Serves 4) 80g 70% cocoa chocolate
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons sugar
4 tablespoons/70g plain yogurt
30 raspberries (appox 95g)

Break chocolate into a pirex jug and gently heat the jug in saucepan of water. When the chocolate is fully melted take the jug out of the saucepan and allow it to cool for a few minutes.

Separate the egg yokes from the white. Add the sugar to the whites and whisk them until they become firm and form soft peaks as the whisk is removed.

Add the chocolate to the yogurt and mix them together well.

Fold the egg white into the chocolate yogurt and then spoon the mixture into ramekins or what ever bowls or glasses you have to hand. Refrigerate the mixture for 2 hours to allow it to set.
Just before serving arrange the raspberries on top and use a potato peeler to create chocolate shavings for decoration.

No comments: