Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Spiced Apricot Turkey


Ingredients
(Serves 4) 4 turkey breasts
rind of one orange, thinly shreded
8oz/225g of dried apricots
250g/9oz/1 cup unsweetened yogurt
1 table spoon of ground cumin
2 tea spoon of ground turmeric
2 tea spoon of ground coriander
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 pinches salt
pepper

1. Cut each turkey breast horizonally down the center to make two thin slices. Add some orange rind and pepper to once side of each slice then cut the dried apricots on top.

2. Roll the turkey slices to wrap them around the apricots then insert a cocktail stick to hold the roll in place.

3. Mix the yogurt with the coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and garlic. Brush or rub the sauce into the rolled turkey breasts.

4. Arrange the turkey in a dish and cook in a preheated oven at 190°C/380°F/Gas Mark 5 for 30-35 minutes. Check the turkey is properly cooked. Serve with white long-grain rice and brocolli.

Nutritional Information (per serving)
Calories: 323
Protein: 36g
Fat: 3g
- Saturated: 1g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
Carbohydrate: 42g
- Sugars: 34g
Fiber: 4g
Sodium: 403mg

From: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/recipes/spiced_apricot_turkey/recipe.php

No comments: