Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Chicken and Chickpea Casserole


There is something very satisfying about casserole, cooked slowly so as not to impair the flavors producing a satisfying warming stew. Although this dish requires a good amount of time in the oven the preparation time quite low.

Ingredients
(Serves 4) 3 medium sized chicken breasts
1 medium red onion
1 large/2 small carrots
½ of a 15oz/400g can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1¼ cups/200g sweetcorn
1¼ cups/300g passata (sieved tomatoes)
or 14oz/400g can of tomatoes
½ tablespoon bouillon or other stock
5 dashes of tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
pepper

1. Chop the onion into 8 sections (as shown) and break the layers appart as you put them into an ovenproof casserol dish. Peal and cut the carrots into round slices about a quarter of an inch thick.

2.Cut the chicken breast into small cubes and put into the dish with the carrot and all the other ingredients.

3. Mix the ingredients together in the dish and then cover with a lid (or foil if you have no lid). Place the dish in an oven pre-heated to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 4. Cook for 55 minutes then serve with yogurt.

From: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/recipes/chicken_chickpea_casserole/

No comments: