Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Chicken Breasts with Savory Apple Stuffing

YIELD: 4 SERVINGS

4 skinless chicken breast halves with bone (about 6 ounces each)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray

STUFFING:
4 slices firm, whole wheat, multi-grain, or sourdough bread
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery (include the leaves)
1 cup chopped, peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 medium-large)
1/2 teaspoon fines herbes; or 1/4 teaspoon each dried thyme and sage
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth

1. Rinse the chicken with cool water and pat it dry with paper towels. Lightly sprinkle both sides with the salt and black pepper and set aside.

2. Tear the bread into pieces, put in a blender or food processor, and process into coarse crumbs. Set aside.

3. Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the onion, celery, apple, herbs and 2 tablespoons of the broth and place the skillet over medium heat. Cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables and apples start to soften. Remove the skillet from the heat and toss in the bread crumbs.

4. Tossing gently, slowly add enough of the remaining broth to make a moist but not wet stuffing that holds together. Set the stuffing aside.

5. Coat a 9x13" pan with nonstick cooking spray and lay the chicken in the pan with the bone side up. Mound a quarter of the stuffing into the depression of the breastbone of each piece of chicken. Spray the tops of the stuffing lightly with the cooking spray.

6. Cover the pan with alumimum foil, and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 20 additional minutes or until the chicken is tender, the juices run clear, and the stuffing is lightly browned. Serve hot.

Nutritional Facts (per serving)
CALORIES: 248
CARBOHYDRATES: 18 g
CHOLESTEROL: 82 mg
FAT: 3.1 g
FIBER: 2.9 g
PROTEIN: 36 g
SODIUM: 435 mg
CALCIUM: 48 mg
GI RATING: LOW

From: http://www.geocities.com/topangasunrise/ChickenBreastsSavoryAppleStuffing.html

No comments: