Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sensual Shallot Bruschetta


This is a most fabulous bruschetta, I’m addicted to it. It does work best if you prepared the tomato mixture ahead and chill for a day.

Ingredients:

12 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons shallots, minced
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
S & P to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, slivered
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pd Italian bread
2 tablespoons Parmesan
2 tablespoons Romano
What’s Next:

Set oven to broil.

In a large bowl- toss together roma tomatoes, minced garlic, shallots, basil, lemon juice, S & P and 1/3 cup olive oil. Chill overnight if possible.

In a small saucepan- add 1/4 cup olive oil and slivered garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Toss garlic in trash, keep olive oil.

Slice Italian bread in small to medium size slices. Brush pieces with garlic-based olive oil. Add roma tomato mix. Sprinkle Parmesan & Romano cheese on top. Place in oven until browned and bubbling, about 2-3 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: