Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pork Medallions with Fig & Port Wine Sauce


This dish showcases how deliciously pork complements the sweet and tart tastes of fruit.

Makes 4 servings

ACTIVE TIME: 45 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

16 small dried Mission figs, stemmed
1 cup tawny port (see Note)
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 pork tenderloin (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed and sliced into 1-inch-thick medallions
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1. Place figs in a small microwavable bowl and cover with port. Cover the bowl and microwave on High for 3 minutes.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add broth, thyme, bay leaf and the fig-port mixture. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Sprinkle both sides of pork medallions with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge lightly with flour, shaking off the excess.
4. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the medallions and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add the reserved fig-port sauce; bring to a simmer and cook until the pork is cooked, but still a little pink in the center, about 2 minutes. The sauce should be syrupy. If not, remove the medallions with a slotted spoon to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm. Boil the sauce until it’s reduced and syrupy. Discard the bay leaf. Serve the sauce over the medallions.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 394 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 4 g fiber; 229 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Selenium (58% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).

2 Carbohydrate Servings

Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 lean meat

TIP: Note: What differentiates tawny from ruby port is that tawny is aged in oak, turning its ruby color toward brown.

No comments: