Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Cumin-Spiced Chicken with Chunky Tomato Sauce

Bright green cilantro tops this cumin-spiced chicken with an extra dimension of flavor. Round out the meal with Chili-Lime Corn on the Cob.

Prep: 2 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and about 1/4 cup tomato sauce)


Ingredients
Cooking spray
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (10-ounce) can mild diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation
1. Preheat broiler.

2. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle both sides of chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon cumin and salt; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.

3. Add 1/4 teaspoon cumin and tomatoes to pan; cook 1 minute. Return chicken to pan; spoon tomato mixture evenly over chicken. Sprinkle evenly with cheese; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with cilantro.

Nutritional Information
Calories:253 (20% from fat)
Fat:6g (sat 2.9g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.5g)
Protein:45.9g
Carbohydrate:2.7g
Fiber:0.9g
Cholesterol:106mg
Iron:1.6mg
Sodium:693mg
Calcium:188mg

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1896097

No comments: