Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Chicken Tagine

A tagine is a Moroccan dish named after the cooking vessel it is prepared in. These braised stews contain meat, poultry, or fish; vegetables; and a combination of spices. Serve with a traditional Moroccan beverage: hot minted tea.

Prep: 4 minutes; Cook: 13 minutes

Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs, 2/3 cup vegetables, and about 3/4 cup couscous)


Ingredients
8 (3-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Moroccan spice blend (such as The Spice Hunter)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
3/4 cup uncooked couscous
Plain fat-free yogurt (optional)
Chopped fresh mint (optional)
Preparation
1. Sprinkle both sides of chicken evenly with spice blend, salt, and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Add chickpeas and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until chicken is done.

2. While chicken simmers, cook couscous according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Serve chicken thighs and vegetable mixture over couscous. Top with yogurt and mint, if desired.

Nutritional Information
Calories:510 (30% from fat)
Fat:17g (sat 4g,mono 6.8g,poly 3.7g)
Protein:40g
Carbohydrate:48.7g
Fiber:5.8g
Cholesterol:112mg
Iron:4.4mg
Sodium:884mg
Calcium:63mg


Moroccan Spice:

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moroccan-Spice-Blend-109356#ixzz117Mq7rpJ

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/healthy-5-ingredient-chicken-recipes-00400000053257/page18.html

No comments: