Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Chicken-Tortilla Pie

The fresh salsa called for here has a natural low-sodium advantage over bottled commercial salsa. A rotisserie chicken with the skin removed can be used for the shredded chicken breast, but keep in mind that this will increase the amount of sodium in the dish.

Prep: 13 minutes; Cook: 10 minutes

Prep Time: 18 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)


Ingredients
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/4 cup Fresh Salsa
1 cup spicy black bean dip (such as Guiltless Gourmet)
4 (8-inch) multigrain flour tortillas (such as Tumaro's)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Cooking spray
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Combine chicken and salsa in a medium bowl.

3. Spread 1/4 cup black bean dip over each tortilla. Top each evenly with chicken mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese. Stack tortillas in bottom of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese melts. Remove sides of pan. Cut pie into 4 wedges. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
Calories:380 (26% from fat)
Fat:11g (sat 4.3g,mono 4.4g,poly 1.4g)
Protein:39.9g
Carbohydrate:28.7g
Fiber:12.2g
Cholesterol:80mg
Iron:0.8mg
Sodium:660mg
Calcium:215mg


http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1896093

No comments: