Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Basil and Parmesan Dip


Basil and Parmesan are a classic flavor combination typically found in pesto. We've added sour cream to create a creamy alternative to snack on. Use sweet Italian or lemon basil.

Yield
8 servings (serving size: 2 1/2 tablespoons dip and 8 pita chips)

Ingredients
4 (6-inch) pitas
Cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup lightly packed basil leaves (about 1/2 ounce)
3/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream (you can also use Greek Yogurt)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
Basil sprigs (optional)
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 375°.

2. Split pitas; cut each half into 8 wedges. Place wedges on a baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until crisp.

3. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, basil, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl using a rubber spatula. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired. Serve with pita chips.

Nutritional Information
Calories:153
Fat:5.3g (sat 3.1g,mono 0.7g,poly 0.3g)
Protein:6.8g
Carbohydrate:19.1g
Fiber:0.9g
Cholesterol:18mg
Iron:1.1mg
Sodium:362mg
Calcium:156mg
Joanne Weir, Cooking Light, JULY 2009

No comments: