Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Creamy Feta-Spinach Dip


We've updated the classic spinach dip by adding tangy feta and omitting the artichokes and much of the fat.

Yield
2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)

Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) carton plain low-fat yogurt
3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 1/2 cups finely chopped spinach
1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried dill
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Fresh Dill (optional)
Preparation
Spoon yogurt onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; spread to 1/2-inch thickness. Cover with additional paper towels, and let stand 5 minutes. Scrape into the bowl of a food processor using a rubber spatula. Add the cheeses, sour cream, and garlic, and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once. Spoon yogurt mixture into a medium bowl, and stir in the spinach, minced dill, and pepper. Cover and chill. Garnish with fresh dill, if desired.

Nutritional Information
Calories:78 (62% from fat)
Fat:5.4g (sat 3.4g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.2g)
Protein:4.2g
Carbohydrate:3.6g
Fiber:0.4g
Cholesterol:20mg
Iron:0.4mg
Sodium:178mg
Calcium:130mg

Jim Fobel, Cooking Light, JANUARY 2000

1 comment:

Not a Paper Cup said...

Thanks for the recipe!