Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Korean Beef BBQ

Ingredients
2 cups steamed jasmine rice
1 lb top sirloin steak, cut into 1/16 th in. strips
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin (rice wine)
1 teaspoon bottled minced ginger
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
cooking spray

Directions

1. To cut beef at 1/16th of an inch, it is easier if the meat is partially frozen.
2. Combine brown sugar through garlic in a large zip-lock bag and stir.
3. Add the beef slices and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Heat a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat and add beef, discarding remaining marinade.
5. Cook approximately 8 minutes turning frequently, or until desired degree of doneness.
6. If you prefer to grill, place a wire grilling basket coated with cooking spray on grill rack, and grill 8 minutes, turning frequently.
7. Serve over jasmine rice.

No comments: