Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Indian-Spiced Fish with Cucumber Relish


Ingredients

1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
4 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 5- to 6-ounce halibut steaks or mahi-mahi fillets (each about 3/4 to 1 inch thick)

1 1/2 cups diced English hothouse cucumber
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar*
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro


Olive oil
Fresh cilantro sprigs

Preparation

Whisk yogurt, 2 teaspoons ginger, garlic, curry powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper in medium bowl to blend. Add fish and turn to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight, turning fish occasionally.

Mix cucumber, vinegar, chopped cilantro, and remaining 2 teaspoons ginger in small bowl. Season lightly to taste with pepper. (Relish can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush grill rack with olive oil. Scrape off excess yogurt marinade from fish; sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Grill fish until just opaque in center, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer fish to plates. Spoon cucumber relish alongside; garnish with cilantro sprigs.

*Also known as sushi vinegar; available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of most supermarkets.

No comments: