Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Honey-Roasted Pork


Ingredients

1 4-pound boneless pork rib roast
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons ground garam marsala or coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
3/4 cup (about) canned low-salt chicken broth or water

Preparation
Place pork, fat side up, in large glass baking dish. Rub pork with salt and pepper. Whisk honey, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, 4 tablespoons olive oil, garam marsala, and thyme in small bowl. Pour over pork; cover pork loosely with foil. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour, basting occasionally.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Transfer pork to roasting pan; reserve marinade. Roast pork 15 minutes. Spoon 1/4 of reserved marinade over pork. Add 1/4 cup broth to roasting pan. Roast pork 15 minutes; spoon remaining marinade over. Add 1/4 cup broth to pan. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 150°F, about 40 minutes longer. Baste ocassionally throughout the 40 minutes. Add 1/4 cup broth to pan, stirring browned bits from bottom.

Transfer pork to platter; tent with foil. Use remaining juices to pour over sliced served pork.

No comments: