Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pasta - basic recipe

Try your hand at homemade pasta with this simple recipe. Shape it into sheets to make lasagne or fill it for delicious ravioli.

What to buy: Italians use type “00” flour when making pasta. It can be found at Italian groceries and online. If you can’t find it, use all-purpose flour.

INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or type “00”), plus a little for dusting
Kosher salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten'
dash olive oil - to make it easier to work with

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Sift flour and a pinch of salt into a mound on a dry counter. Make a well in the center of the mound and add the eggs.
2. Using your fingers or a fork, mix the eggs until smooth and uniform, then gradually incorporate the flour. (you can use a dough scraper to make it easier). Continue mixing until a smooth paste begins to form, then push flour over paste and work until dough comes together. (If the mixture is too soft, add a little extra flour; if it is too firm, add a little water.)
3. Work dough until it is uniformly moist, then using the heel of your hand, knead for about 8-10 minutes or until dough is smooth and firm. Shape dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap (or put in a plastic bag) , and let rest in a cool, dry place for at least 20 minutes or up to an hour.
4. Proceed to shape the dough as desired. Sprinkle dough with a little bit of flour to avoid sticking. With the machine - start with "1" and move to desired thickness. (dough should be 1/16th of an in max)
5. Cut pasta into desired length.
6. If hand cutting, flour lightly, roll, then cut, uncurl. Let it dry for 1/2 hour. The cook salted water for a couple of minutes to cook.
7. If not going to eat it all - freeze it on cookie sheet. Once frozen, store in a plastic bag in your freezer until you want to use it.

No comments: