Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Nuts 4 Nuts(R) Candied Nuts
























Ingredients :

2 tbl water
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup nuts (almonds, peanuts, or cashews)

Method :
1. Bring 2 tablespoons water and 1/4 cup sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan* over medium heat.
2. Add the nuts and stir often until water evaporates. Continue stirring until the sugar begins to harden on the nuts. When the sugar on the nuts begins to turn light brown, pour them onto a plate to cool. Be careful not to cook the nuts too long or the sugar will burn.
The streets of New York City are peppered with Nuts 4 Nuts vendors selling freshly candied nuts that you can smell a block away. For a buck or two you get your choice of warm sugar-coated peanuts, cashews, or almonds wrapped up in a little paper bag with the corners twisted closed. The nuts are candied right there on the carts in a large metal bowl over a heating element. Sugar and water are added to the nuts, then it's all stirred vigorously as the water evaporates so the nuts develop a nice even coating without burning. They're easy to make on the street, which means they're even easier to clone at home. All you need for your own quick version of this addictive street snack is 1 1/4 cups of your favorite nuts, some sugar, a little water, a hot pan and you're about 5 minutes away from an authentic New York City treat. Give this recipe a try with pecans or walnuts as well, and then use them on a spinach salad, along with a little goat cheese, and some diced apples or pears for a real gourmet touch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have tried using four different pans but the sugar never seizes and crystalizes. I am left with gooey browned cashews. The first batch burned waiting for this seizing to happen. Don't know why. Any help out there?
Suzette