Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Pigs in a Blanket

This appetizer is cocktail sausages or hot dog sections wrapped in dough then baked. It is as simple as can be and is great finger food at parties. Goes well with ketchup, mustard and/or mayonaise.

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/4 cups flour *
1 teaspoon salt *
3/4 cup shortening *
ice water *
2 dozen cocktail sausages or hot dogs, sliced

* An alternative to making your own dough is to use Pilsbury's slice and bake croissant rolls.

PREPARATION:
Sift together flour and salt. Cut in shortening and add just enough ice water to hold together. Chill. Roll dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut in squares large enough to cover a sausage (if using hot dogs, slice in 2-inch lengths).

Place wrapped sausages or hot dogs on a lightly greased baking sheet; bake at 400° for about 15 to 20 minutes, until pastry coating is browned.

No comments: