Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Espetada de Espadarte (Swordfish Kabobs)



by Elisabeth Luard


Serves 4


Swordfish is one of only three fish firm enough to keep its shape on a skewer; the others are tuna and monkfish, the poor man's lobster, either of which can be substituted in this recipe. Espetadas (kabobs), bite-size pieces of meat or fish threaded onto sharpened sticks, are the fairground treat on the island of Madeira. They're eaten with bread rolls (bolos do caco): yeast-raised buns the size of a dinner plate, traditionally cooked on a bakestone (caco) made of basalt, the rock of which the island is formed — though in modern times, rather less romantically, the caco is made of concrete.

Ingredients
1 pound of swordfish steaks, cut into cubes

for the marinade
2 tablespoon of olive oil
3 or 4 garlic cloves, skinned and crushed
1 oregano sprig, crumbled
1 dried piri-piri pepper, crushed, or 1 malagueta pepper, seeded and finely chopped (piri-piri is a type of hot chili pepper, if piri-piri is unavailable, use another chili pepper - strength of your choosing)
Coarse salt


Method
1. Thread the fish onto skewers and arrange them on a flat dish.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients, pour them over the kabobs and leave them for an hour or two to take the flavors.
3. Remove from the marinade and drain thoroughly.
4. Heat a small barbecue or broiler to maximum heat and grill the fish kabobs fiercely. Serve with white rice or soft cornmeal porridge (polenta).

No comments: