Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Salmon with Sweet Chile Sauce

Serve with soba noodles tossed with low-sodium soy sauce and dark sesame oil. Add steamed broccoli florets on the side.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet, 1 tablespoon sauce, and 1 teaspoon green onions)
Ingredients

* 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Cooking spray
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
* 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions

Preparation

1. Sprinkle fish evenly with coriander and salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.

2. Combine honey, juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha; drizzle over fish. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutritional Information

Calories: 262 (36% from fat)
Fat: 10.5g (sat 2.5g,mono 4.6g,poly 2.5g)
Protein: 31.2g
Carbohydrate:9.5g
Fiber: 0.1g
Cholesterol: 80mg
Iron: 0.6mg
Sodium: 460mg
Calcium:18mg

Jackie Mills, MS, RD, Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2008

No comments: