Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sesame Snap Peas with Carrots & Peppers

The colorful combination of sugar snap peas, red bell pepper and carrot plus an Asian-inspired flavors make this side dish a pleasure to whip up for a weeknight dinner.

Makes 4 servings, 3/4 cup each

ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 2 cups)
1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips (about 1 cup)
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Place peas, bell pepper and carrot in a steamer basket over 2 inches of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover and steam, stirring once, until crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Toss with soy sauce, oil, sesame seeds and pepper.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 82 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 219 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)

From: http://eatingwell.com/recipes/sesame_snap_peas.html

No comments: