Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Easy Chicken Potpie Recipe


Ingredients:
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/2 cup plus 2/3 cup fat-free milk, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1-1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the soups, 1/2 cup milk, thyme, pepper and poultry seasoning. Stir in vegetables and chicken.

Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, stir biscuit mix and remaining milk just until blended. Drop by 12 rounded tablespoonfuls onto chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.

SERVINGS: 6

CATEGORY: Lower Fat

METHOD: Baked

TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.

Nutrition Facts
One serving: 1-1/3 cups chicken mixture with 2 biscuits Calories: 342 Fat: 5 g Saturated Fat: 2 g Cholesterol: 36 mg Sodium: 871 mg Carbohydrate: 53 g Fiber: 7 g Protein: 21 g Diabetic Exchange: 3 vegetable, 2-1/2 starch, 2 very lean meat.

No comments: