Learning to Cook

I have always been surrounded by wonderful cooks and bakers. While this has been delightful for my taste buds, I always wondered if I would ever be able to cook like them. When I lived in Brazil, I was forced to learn how to cook because the ingredients at my disposal were so different. The experience was, at first, frustrating. But, once I began to experiment, the world of cooking opened up to me. My recipe box is now brimming, and I thought others might be interested in trying some of the recipes I have found. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I plan to in the future! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to add your own suggestions/comments.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Spicy Beef Curry Stew Recipe

Ready in: > 5 hrs
Difficulty: 3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound beef stew meat
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
1 jalapeno pepper, fresh; diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 can (14.5 oz size) diced tomatoes with juice
1 onion - sliced and quartered
1 cup beef broth

Directions (serves 4):

Brown the beef in olive oil on all sides. Remove from skillet, reserving juices, and season with salt and pepper.

Cook and stir the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno in the skillet for 2 minutes, until tender, and season with curry powder. Mix in the diced tomatoes and juice.

Place the onion in the bottom of a slow cooker, and layer with the browned beef.

Scoop the skillet mixture into the slow cooker, and mix in the beef broth.

Cover, and cook 6 to 8 hours on Low.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 244 Calories; 13g Fat (50.8% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 388mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

No comments: